A sweet and tangy sangria recipe is the best addition to any 4th of July Party! Sangria can be made using white, rose, red, or sparkling wines.
What is Sangria?
A traditional Spanish beverage, sangria is a wine-based "punch" that includes seasonal fruit, a sweetener, brandy, and sometimes a splash of soda water. Winetakes the center stage in this cocktail, so choose a wine that is fruity but dry and has good acidity.
A red wine sangria recipe is the most traditional and we suggest using fruits like oranges, cherries, and lemons to add flavor and colorful garnish. If you are a making a big batch sangria recipe, you can add club soda right before serving to give it an extra sparkling touch. A white wine sangria is also a delightful recipe. In addition to the lemons, oranges, and cherries - this pairs wonderfully with lime and cubed watermelon. Sparkling sangria is also delicious especially if prepared with fresh mint and strawberries. This will be a summer recipe not to disappoint!
Just a few tips to make a delicious Sangria:
- Best wines for sangria: Zinfandel, lambrusco, shiraz, rioja, and sangiovese. You can most definitely substitute white wine for red.
- Best fruits: Citrus (lemons, limes, oranges), stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, cherries, plums), and tropical fruit (pineapple, mango).
- Stick with fruits that won’t get mushy. If you want to use melon balls, berries or apples, add them just before serving.
- Add cold sparkling soda just before serving to maintain the fizz.
- Save the ice until just before serving to avoid diluting your drink.
- Like it sweet? Add sugar to taste until dissolved to make yours into a sweet red sangria recipe.
How do you make Rose Sangria?
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry rose wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur or syrop
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries.
- 1 1/2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 sliced lemon with zest
- 1 sliced orange with zest
- 1 1/2 cups seltzer or any sparkling water
In a pitcher, stir in one bottle of wine, brandy, liqueur and sliced fruit along with a few teaspoons of sugar if you like it sweet. Chill for 2-3 hours or overnight. Add two cups of cold sparkling soda and ice and serve.
Enjoy this recipe alongside any of your favorite summer dishes and Happy Fourth of July!