In Russia, these chocolate pastries, Pirozhnoe “Kartoshka”, are very well known. They are translated literally as Potato Pastry, since they are made into the shape of potatoes. They are sold in almost every pastry shop in Russia.
It's the very simple recipe and does not require any cooking! Kartoshka - is shortbread cookie crumbs mixed with cocoa powder and butter. That simple and unpretentious but, nevertheless, delicious.
- 11 oz shortbread cookies
- 1 stick of butter
- 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp cognac (optional)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Melt butter.
2. Place shortbread cookies into blender and pulse until they turn into fine crumbs.
3. Mix shortbread crumbs with cocoa powder.
4. Add melted butter and milk into biscuit-cocoa mixture and mix well until you get dough-like consistency. You can add cognac for added flavor.
5. Take a little piece of dough at a time and roll it into a ball or oval shaped “potato” to make it look more like a classic version.
Roll each ball in cocoa powder. When all the balls are done, place into refrigerator and let them cool. You can eat kartoshka right away, but it does taste better when you let it cool down.