Cashmere is amongst the most loved material for making luxury clothing, as it is not only soft, warm and comfortable, light and breathable, but also because it will last long with a proper care. You will be amazed how durable is Cashmere, but it needs to be handled with care.
- Check care instructions on clothing tags!
- High temperatures can cause cashmere to shrink - this includes very hot water for washing as well as high clothes dryer temperatures. We recommend you hand wash your cashmere garment in lukewarm or cold water to prevent shrinkage. Always check on the label.
- Use natural moth repellents in your wardrobe and drawers, such as camphor, dried lavender, rosemary, mint, cinnamon sticks, eucalyptus, or cedar. The stronger the fragrance, the better moth-repellent it will be.
- Beautiful cashmere clothing is an investment; just like any precious item, it needs tender loving care. This includes proper storage.
- After you have carefully hand washed your cashmere, or had it dry cleaned by a professional in cashmere care (moths are repulsed by the odour of dry cleaning fluid, so this can be very beneficial), make sure it is completely air dried. Once it is dry, de-pill very carefully and smooth away any creases. Iron only on the lowest possible setting, and always iron inside out. Alternatively, steam your garment using a hand held steamer.
- Storing your cashmere properly when it is not being worn is very important. Make sure wherever you store your cashmere is clean, dry, and dust-free. Stored clothing (between seasons, for example) must always be kept free of dust, away from sunlight, and be well aired.
- Never hang cashmere garments - they will lose their shape. They are best folded and stored in a muslin bag.
- Cashmere really is an investment that you buy now, but can potentially keep and wear forever. With some careful attention to the details of cleaning and proper storage, your beautiful cashmere will delight you and be a wardrobe staple for many years to come.
As always, carefully check the care instructions on any cashmere garment. Following these will guarantee your cashmere clothing lasts longer and looks fantastic.